Special Census Workers to Make Neighborhood Visits This Week
Staff with the Greater Nashville Regional Council, or GNRC, will begin to verify at least ten percent of Brentwood residents in our special census. All GNRC staff will be wearing proper identification and introducing themselves when knocking on resident doors Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday April 3-5, 2018.
The City of Brentwood launched its 2018 Special Census in August 2017 due to growth of the population since the 2015 Special Census. The goal was to determine how many residents now live in the City and bring in more state-shared revenue, distributed to local governments based on population.
Approximately 14,500 residential addresses in the City received three special census mailings in August, September, and November 2017. City staff submitted a total population of 43,896 for verification, which included 43,565 resident names and 331 residents living in the City’s six group care homes. The submitted number was an additional 3,493 residents more than the 2015 special census count of 40,401. If the 2018 special census population is certified and if the State shared revenue is $125 per capita, Brentwood could expect approximately $436,000 per year.
The additional funding received will be used to fund essential services such as fire and police protection, street maintenance, the Library, and Parks. In addition, the additional funding helps the City to maintain the current level of City service while also maintaining a low property tax rate for our residents.
Timeline of Special Census Events:
- May 2017:letter sent to the Tennessee Economic and Community Development informing staff of the City’s intent to conduct a Special Census.
- August- November: Three mailings sent to 14,500 homes
- October:door-to-door visits of non-reporting addresses
- December: Follow-up door to door visits
- February 26, 2018:Brentwood Planning and Codes Department submitted the completed Special Census project and data to the Greater Nashville Regional Council (GNRC) staff for desk review and field verification.
- April 3-5:GNRC Field Review; door-to-door visits in select neighborhoods