Thank you for your interest in employment with the City of Brentwood.
To become a recruit firefighter:
- Must have 60 semester hours of college credits or 30 semester hours
- Two years experience as a paid firefighter/EMT
- Must be 21 years of age before hire date
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Must be able to obtain a valid Tennessee driver’s license
- Must attain appropriate standing following administration of entrance examination
- Complete a City of Brentwood Job Application
How Brentwood's Future Firefighters Are Selected:
- Applicants must pass a physical ability test
- Applicants must pass a written test
- Applicants will be orally interviewed by the Department’s officers
- Pass a drug screen
- Your opportunity for employment may be enhanced if you have Emergency Medical Technician certification or other medical or fire service experience or education.
- Pass a polygraph exam
How to Apply:
When a test date has been set, all applicants applying since the last previous testing, who meet minimum requirements, are sent a notice indicating the next scheduled test date. Applicants are required to respond by the established cut-off date if they intend to test. Any applicant failing to respond is removed from the test list. No make-up test will be given.
The starting salary for a firefighter is $38,237.32 per year with incentives for higher education, emergency medical training, or fire fighting experience.
Firefighters shall be Tennessee State Certified Firefighter II within 30 months from date of employment, and First Responder certified within one year. He/she is responsible for maintaining current, valid licenses and certifications.
Applicants hired into the position of firefighter may be provided with salary incentives for prior applicable experience. Attendance at the state fire academy or other state-sanctioned recruit training may be waived if the applicant possesses State of Tennessee, IFSAC, or ProBoard certification.
Contact Human Resources at 615-371-0060 or via email
Have not been set for our next Firefighter testing session. If you complete the online application, you will receive an email once the dates have been set.