The City of Brentwood has an established policy for the design and installation of speed humps on certain residential streets to control speeding and discourage cut-through traffic. For a road in a subdivision to be considered for speed humps, the property owners along this road or a homeowners association must submit a request to the Public Works Department for review and consideration. Some of the minimum criteria for a speed hump include:
- Speed humps can only be located on local roadways in a subdivision that connect with major arterial or collector roads of the City.
- The roadway must be a two lane road (less than 30 feet wide and with grades less than 6.0%).
- The posted speed limit is 30 m.p.h. or less with a measurable speed problem.
- At least 2/3 of the residents living within 1,000 feet of the proposed humps must support installation and agree to pay 60% of the cost. Click here for a copy of the required petition.
- The City commission must review and approve all speed hump installations.
While the City's share is 40%, the City will pay for all engineering cost and fees for preparation of studies and reports. Generally, speed humps should be installed in multiples of 3-5 to be effective in controlling speed.
If you have any questions about the program, please contact the Public Works Director at (615) 371-0080.